Andrea's practice is focused on the needs of Calgary's small business community. He has 27 years' experience representing hundreds of owner-operated and family businesses in over 10,000 transactions. He also has considerable knowledge in the following industries:
- food, beverage & hospitality
- residential & commercial construction
- oilfield supply and services
- business consulting
- professional corporations.
Andrea helps his small business clients with all aspects of business law including start-up issues; intellectual property protection; buying, selling and financing of businesses; business succession planning, commercial leasing and other aspects of commercial real estate.
He was a learning group facilitator for the Alberta bar admissions course and has been a panelist on seminars organized for lawyers by the Canadian Bar Association and Legal Education Society of Alberta in addition to giving presentations at various industry events. He also authored a Guide to Non-residential Investment in Canada/Alberta.
Andrea is deeply committed to improving the law firm business model to provide exceptional value without conventional costs. He has shown time and again that there is a better way to deliver high quality legal services to Calgary's small business community and launched one of Canada's first virtual law services. His views on the subject have been sought by a number of legal and business publications and blogs. Andrea also regularly provides pro bono and reduced fee services for individuals in need.
Prior to joining McLean Legal as Senior Associate, Andrea obtained his Bachelor of Commerce degree (with distinction) from the University of Calgary in 1985 and his law degree from the University of Alberta in 1988. He was admitted to the Bar in Ontario in 1990 and in Alberta in 1994.
Andrea started his legal career at a small Bay Street law firm in Toronto. Upon returning to Calgary, Andrea worked for a small corporate-commercial firm prior to starting his own law firm in 1997.
When not practicing law Andrea has been involved with a number of non-profit and cultural organizations at the local, provincial and national level. Andrea enjoys writing, hiking and playing a number of musical instruments. He is married with one daughter.
· Negotiated purchases, sales and financings of commercial, industrial, agricultural and multi-unit residential properties throughout North America and Europe
· Provided commercial and tax structuring advice with respect to Canadian real estate investments
· Provided clients with legal advice with respect to real estate and business investments in Italy and the United States
· Prepared Canadian and international distribution, licensing, manufacturing and marketing agreements
· Represented over 100 food and beverage establishments
· Advised clients with respect to Canadian and international intellectual property protection and licensing and represented Canadian companies in the acquisition, sale and financing of Canadian and foreign owned intellectual property assets
· Represented and advised franchisors and franchisees with respect to franchise law matters, including the negotiation of franchise agreements; reviewing disclosure documents and franchise purchases, sales and terminations
· Processed trade-mark and copyright registrations and advised clients with respect to Canadian, US and international intellectual property protection
· Worked with ABC, NBC and CBS television networks in dealing with business immigration issues under NAFTA
· Structured joint venture agreement between a German and Canadian automotive parts manufacturer